Long Lines of Taxis Will Not Be In Front Of Casinos This Weekend in Las Vegas

There was a strike where more than 190 drivers holding “No more cabs!” signs on red, white and blue paper we present. Nevada Taxicab Authority on Monday rejected several companies’ requests for temporary permits to cover a major event by their support and availability because of this strike. This is the second rejection for providing taxis to cover event in recent weeks.

Many companies had proposed that they should be allowed to field six to 12 extra cabs, depending on the time in a day. This demand is also going to be put forth during the National Association of Broadcasters convention that will start on coming Saturday. Among all the 16 companies licensed to provide taxi service, only Yellow-Checker-Star has broken industry ranks by advocating that no extra medallions will be made available to anyone. There are estimates that attendance at the four-day conference that highlights broadcast equipment and trends will exceed 100,000 and this will make it one of the largest events that this city has ever hosted. But the medallion request has now died on a 2-2 tie vote with four commissioners present and the swing vote of Joshua Miller left the meeting at the Cash man Center almost midway to attend a previously scheduled appointment so long lines of Taxis will not be in front of Casinos this weekend in Las Vegas.

The debate actually broke with two very popular familiar lines that the drivers are complaining that new permanent medallions and longer hours on some awarded last year have severely diluted their incomes, and despite this difficulty companies telling of venues pleading for more cabs during busy times. This session had not erupted with the mere emotion that we saw in February when other temporary medallion requests were on the agenda and security officers had to take some angry drivers away from the meeting room. Then the board rejected one of the proposals and approved a scaled-down version of the other. This time, everyone had to pass through security screening for metal objects because of bad experience of last time and it is a first for the normally low-profile state agency. Audience also received several warnings to control themselves, both in writing and from security officers, against the type of disruptions that had taken place in February. This was a critical issue but was dealt professionally.

John Hickman, chief operating officer of Frias Transportation Management said that he was a little disappointed at the outcome because this is not the end of the issue and they will do the best they can to respond to calls and the airport begging for taxicabs. The statement of largest operator of this city was that having the additional cabs would have helped everyone and it was true with no doubts. But Chief Operating Officer of Yellow-Checker-Star, Bill Shranko, commented on the decision and called it an extraordinary step in retaining the drivers and that industry had a lot of work to do in this area.”

Drobkin, while talking in supporting half of the temporary medallions that the other companies had requested, talked about the effect on the critical meeting industry. She said that he had a real concern with the bigger shows, and he finds himself not being able to service them. Drivers described long lines outside the casinos and told of having to circle McCarran International Airport many times because there were many more cabs on the street than potential passengers during slower times.

George Allen, a driver for Yellow-Checker-Star, said that all these extra cabs were not needed, not even one of them because if you go to any taxi stand at 3 a.m., 6 a.m., 9 a.m., noon, you will find how long the lines of taxis are there.